Following the success of MOGSTOCK last year, our supporter, Phil Elsey, has organised MOGSTOCK 17, which will be held on 30 September 2017. Here, he tells us about the concert and shares his memories of the rock music scene in Sheffield.
You may be wondering how MOGSTOCK came to be. This is my story…..
First and foremost, it was my absolute love for cats. Me and my wife Donna, are Shelter Foster Carers and take in cats that need both short and long-term care. But my other great love in life is music. So, I decided to combine the two and raise funds for my beloved Sheffield Cats Shelter.
My eldest son, Joe Elsey is lead singer and guitarist of Sheffield rock band Coyote Mad Seeds. Last year, I had an idea to hold a rock event to raise money. Joe agreed to help me and to recruit other local talent. I then asked the good people at The Dove & Rainbow Pub in Hartshead Square, to host the event. They agreed and loved it so much that they are now hosting MOGSTOCK 2017. And so MOGSTOCK as annual event was born!
Sheffield has a rich history of rock & pop music. Talents such as Joe Cocker, Dave Berry, Def Leppard, The Human League, ABC, and Pulp have all originated from this city. This buzzing music scene deserves recognition which is what MOGSTOCK is all about.
We also have some iconic music venues which have now sadly gone. Do you remember:
- The Black Swan (The Mucky Duck) later to be called The Boardwalk which attracted some great acts. It was an early haunt of Joe Cocker’s. The mighty AC/DC also graced the stage there in their early years. As did Elkie Brookes when she was the lead singer with Vinegar Joe.
- The 70’s & 80’s saw the iconic Wappentake which was the temple for all Sheffield rockers & bikers. Def Leppard & Saxon members were regulars there.
- The Nelson was also a favourite watering hole of the rock fraternity. Rebels Night Club was where rockers went after The Wappentake/Nelson etc closed.
- Rockers of a certain age will remember The KGB at the old Abbeydale picture house. Members of Def Leppard used to go there! Occasionally local bands played there. I remember Geddes Axe & Heritage playing.
- Another iconic venue was the Limit Club on West St. It hosted bands such as U2 and Pulp. Do you remember the final track every night? “Take me to the Limit”.
- The one survivor from that golden era is The Leadmill. Do you have memories that you can share with us? Such as Thursday 60s nights?
Today’s scene may not be as big but it’s still buzzing. It includes venues such as The Mulberry Tavern, The Church House, The Yorkshireman, The 3 Cranes, The Royal Standard, The Rocking Chair (Formerly the Nelson), The Washington and of course The Dove and Rainbow
They all host the cream of Sheffield’s rock talent and they deserve the support of Sheffield’s music loving family.
MOGSTOCK 2016 saw an awesome line-up of local rock bands, including Coyote Mad Seeds, Fear Lies, Steal the City., Gorilla Warfare, Exit Strategy and One Delirium. And we raised a whopping total of £666. (Yes, this is the number of the Beast)
This year’s MOGSTOCK event will be on Saturday 30th September 2017.
It has a brilliant line up:
- The Idol Dead
- Black Moon Rising
- Cadence Noir
- Coyote Mad Seeds
The Dove & Rainbow opens it doors at 2.30pm. Bands will be playing through the afternoon and into the night. There will be a MOGSTOCK raffle with some cool prizes!
MOGSTOCK 2017 will be officially opened by The Sheffield Cat’s Shelter’s very own Young Ambassador & Multi Award Winning Storm Burgess!
Travis the mascot will also be making an appearance. He will also be on Fargate with his mate Marnie the Shelter’s official doggy mascot with our collection buckets. Yes, Travis is ready to ROCK!! (Well its cool for cats ain’t it!)
MOGSTOCK is now established as an annual event. It will help and promote up and coming talent in the music industry but above all, we hope that it will raise money to help the moggies that The Sheffield Cat’s Shelter rescues.
So, put Saturday 30th September, The Dove & Rainbow, in your diaries! Entry is free, but we ask you to donate whatever you can to our collection buckets and enter our prize raffle.
Hope to see you all at MOGSTOCK 2017.
Volunteer Fundraising Coordinator